[OPE-L:166] Recruitment

glevy@acnet.pratt.edu (glevy@acnet.pratt.edu)
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:08:57 -0700

James Devine wrote:

> how many members are we looking to have? if there are too many,
> won't that become cumbersome?

To answer your 1st question: I don't know.
To answer your 2nd question: Yes.

I believe we are going to eventually have to face-up to a troubling
situation. Over time, more and more people are going to want to join
ope-l. On the one hand, if people like De Brunhoff, Altvater, Carchedi,
etc. want to join, how can we refuse? On the other hand (as Jim
suggests), the larger we get (at some point), the more "cumbersome"
communication will become.

I believe there is still a little room for expansion -- but not much.
Eventually, we will (I fear), have to close the gates (at least,
temporarily). I will then be in the unenviable position of telling people
that they can't join. This will win me no new friends.

I ask, in the interim, that if list members want to invite someone, they
should communicate with me first.

In OPE-L Solidarity,

Jerry