[OPE-L:193] the book on wage labor

glevy@acnet.pratt.edu (glevy@acnet.pratt.edu)
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 13:01:14 -0700

Jim wrote:

It's not that the "book on wage labor" is
> missing from the "Marxian canon." Rather, Mike's point is that it
> was left out of the book CAPITAL. Mike's book quotes a heck of a
> lot of material from Marx's _other_ writings (especially the
> GRUNDRISSE) which can form a "book on wage labor." (BTW, I
> highly recommend that OPE folks read Mike's book.)

On the contrary, I think that Mike L.'s point is that both capital and
CAPITAL are "one-sided." A separate book, according to Mike's book, on
wage labor is needed because capital is only one side of capitalism as
a whole. The other "side" is wage labor.

It is hard for one, including Mike himself, to do justice to his book in
a few short posts. Like Jim, I heartily recommend that everyone read
Mike's book [BEYOND CAPITAL: MARX'S POLITICAL ECONOMY OF THE WORKING
CLASS, St. Martin's,1992, available in paperback].

If you haven't read Mike's book don't feel bad -- I just finished reading
it a few hours ago. I have a feeling that we're all going to have to
catch up on our reading as this project continues.

IN OPE-L Solidarity,

Jerry