[OPE-L:216] Re: The Book on Landed Property

Michael A. Lebowitz (mlebowit@sfu.ca)
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 12:14:59 -0700

In message Sun, 1 Oct 1995 12:14:52 -0700,
wpc@clyder.gn.apc.org (Paul Cockshott) writes:

> Mike
> ----
> Yes, that is true and so one wonders how and where this is to be
> integrated. Perhaps that is book 7. Ie., once we have the picture of the
> capitalist world market, perhaps that is the very point at which it is
> ctearly established that this does not exhaust the world, that something
> exists outside, that it is necessary to consider that which is outside
> and
> then its interactions with the capitalist world economy.
>
> Paul
> ----
> This may be partly a matter of geographical perspective.
> In North America, the assumption that agriculture is capitalist
> and that landed property takes on a specifically capitalist form
> is manifestly reasonable. But South America, the idea that
> non-capitalist social relations are 'outside', would be less
> plausible. Here in Britain, although at the economic level
> the non-capitalist aspects of landed property are slight, things
> like the right of the duchy of Lancaster to the property of
> all who die intestate in the duchy, the cultural effect
> remains considerable. There is a sense in which not only
> has landed property been subordinated to capital, but,
> landed property has culturally subordinated the capitalist
> class.

I certainly agree with Paul that one cannot treat non-capitalist
relations as "outside" in the real world. What I meant was that they were
"outside" logically but that there was a point at which it was necessary to
embrace and include them if we were to understand the critical interactions
between capitalism and non-capitalism and thus the two themselves. Where the
examination of non-capitalist relations falls is a question that cannot be
determined arbitrarily in advance. Eg., I argue that the question of
patriarchy emerges as soon as we begin to study the side of wage-labour, ie
as soon as workers are considered as the subject (rather than as that which
stands outside capital); however, clearly, this subject would also come in
the context of an examination of the state within capitalism.
in solidarity,
mike
ps. on the island I am writing from there is not much sign of capitalist
relations although exchange relations (as in the export of an illicit
slbstance as main cash crop) prevail.
Michael A. Lebowitz
Economics Department, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6
Office: (604) 291-4669; Office fax: (604) 291-5944
Home: (604) 255-0382
Lasqueti Island (current location): (604) 333-8810
e-mail: mlebowit@sfu.ca