[OPE-L:283] Re: On Moving Forward

Gilbert Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 12:54:23 -0700

John writes:

> What follows is my way of convincing myself that that
> is "What is to done."

> 1. Within the field of Marxian economics, two problems are often
> discussed.
> a. The transformation of values into prices of prod-
> uction.
> b. The falling rate of profit.

This statement of the problems to be discussed presume that there is
a reason to "transform" anything. This is highly problematic, and
has certainly not been resolved within this group. At a minimum, for
problem (a) to be relevant, it must be that values have some
independent explanatory status. There is no good reason to believe
this, although value might have some heuristic purpose. Gil