[OPE-L:413] Re: abstract labor

Riccardo Bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 04:34:58 -0800

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, bill mitchell wrote:

> Duncan commenting on paul said:
> >
> >But for the same reasons it seems off the track to view feudal
> >exploitation as taking the form of the expropriation of surplus labor,
> >rather than as the appropriation of a surplus product in concrete form.
> >(Just as in ancient societies there was commodity production and even
> >nascent capitalist production in feudal societies alongside feudal
> >production.)
> >

> there is a good article by Micheal Burawoy, which
> i think is entitled "The labour
> process, Braverman and beyond" which came out about 1978. i have forgotten its
> details and i am not in my office. it provides an excellent discussion of the
> way in which surplus is created and "enforced" in feudalism viz capitalism.
>
> kind regards
> bill

Yes, it is a very good article indeed. The exact reference is

MICHAEL BURAWOY, Towards a Marxist Theory of the Labour Process.
Braverman and Beyond, Politics and Society, vol. 8, n. 3-4.

To confirm Duncan point, see also what Rosa Luxemburg says in her lectures
on marxist political economy (sorry, I've not the reference in English).

riccardo

Riccardo Bellofiore e-mail: bellofio@cisi.unito.it
Department of Economics Tel: (39) -35- 277505 (direct)
University of Bergamo (39) -35- 277501 (dept.)
Piazza Rosate, 2 (39) -11- 5819619 (home)
I-24129 Bergamo Fax: (39) -35- 249975
Italy