[OPE-L:416] Re: abstract labor

Riccardo Bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 08:10:03 -0800

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, ECUSERS wrote:

> I'm not sure if the full lectures are available in English, but there
> is one chapter included in the collection ROSA LUXEMBURG SPEAKS
> edited by Mary-Alice Waters (Pathfinder Press, 1970, reprinted 1991),
> entitled "What is Economics?" that discusses Charlemagne's household
> in terms similar to Duncan Foley's point (as well as to Steve
> Keen's).
>
> Riccardo: Are the "lectures on Marxist political economy" that you
> referred to the ones Luxemburg did for the SPD's special party school
> in Berlin? If not then then the chapter I referred to above must be
> from a different primary source than the one you mentioned.

Yes, they are. The lecture 'What is Economics' is the first chapter. The
others are the following: 2. Primitive communist society; 3. The
dissolution of primitive communist society; 4. Commodity production; 5.
Wage labor; 6. The tendencies in political economy. Chapter 5 is
especially important, since it includes her 'law of the falling relative
wage' (on which there are important comments in Rosdolsky: BTW, in my view
the Accumulation of Capital by R.L. *should* be connected to this chapter
of the lectures, to rescue her from the most obvious errors of her more
known book).

> I agree with Riccardo about the 'gulf' between relatively heavy
> participants and others in ope-l, and will therefore not be posting
> anything for awhile since I think I am one of the ones who has
> relatively over-posted lately (in terms of length and number of > posts).
>
> Paul Burkett

Defintely that is not what I meant!

riccardo

Riccardo Bellofiore e-mail: bellofio@cisi.unito.it
Department of Economics Tel: (39) -35- 277505 (direct)
University of Bergamo (39) -35- 277501 (dept.)
Piazza Rosate, 2 (39) -11- 5819619 (home)
I-24129 Bergamo Fax: (39) -35- 249975
Italy