[OPE-L:538] Re: Science or Manifesto for Communism

glevy@acnet.pratt.edu (glevy@acnet.pratt.edu)
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 03:24:52 -0800

Paul C wrote [#535]:

> How can Capital be both a work of science and a manifesto
> for Communism?
> Because only the truth can set the people free.

* Was the _Communist Manifesto_ a work of science? If so, did Marx and
Engels use the same "scientific method" in examining that subject as
Marx later used preparing and then writing _Capital_?

* Has the knowledge of "truth" and science been the main instrument of
social change in the past?

* How has Einstein's theory of relativity helped to set people free?

* Does one use the same scientific method to examine rocks (geology),
stars (astronomy), bacteria (bacteriology), and capitalism (political
economy)?

In OPE-L Solidarity

Jerry

Note: Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a uniquely U.S. holiday. On this
occasion, millions of families will gather together at the dinner table
eating turkey and exchanging small unpleasantries. Following the meal
(and traditional gender divisions), the men will retire to watch
boring football games (not to be confused with soccer) on TV and the women
will go to the kitchen to wash the dishes and converse.

Due to this holiday, many US OPE-Lers may be with their families and be
unavailable through the weekend (as I will be).