[OPE-L:1448] Re: Marx's maths

Michael A. Lebowitz (mlebowit@sfu.ca)
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 01:14:26 -0800

In message Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:38:26 -0800,
Michael Perelman <michael@ecst.csuchico.edu> writes:

> Long ago, Dirk Stuik (sp) published his analysis of Marx's math notebooks.
> Also, Smoelnsky did an analysis -- I believe in the Journal of Political
> Economy of all places.

Dirk Struik's article is in an old issue of Science & Society, and
Smolenski's article was in the JPE but, as I recall, did not say that much
about the notebooks. There's an extensive discussion in Paulus Gerdes, "Marx
demystifies calculus", Studies in Marxism, Vol. 16, Marxist Educational
Press (Minnesota, 1985). This may be the one filled with commentary that
Alan mentioned.
in solidarity,
mike
Michael A. Lebowitz
Economics Department, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6
Office: (604) 291-4669; Office fax: (604) 291-5944
Home: (604) 255-0382
Lasqueti Island: (604) 333-8810
e-mail: mlebowit@sfu.ca