[OPE-L:1816] Re: question of subjectivity

Massimo De Angelis (M.DeAngelis@uel.ac.uk)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 06:37:39 -0700

> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:12:33 -0700
> From: wpc@cs.strath.ac.uk (Paul Cockshott)
> To: Multiple recipients of list <ope-l@anthrax.ecst.csuchico.edu>
> Subject: [OPE-L:1750] Re: question of subjectivity

> Paul C
> ------
> It is not clear to me that a discussion of subjectivity has any place at
> all in scientific political economy nor, for that matter in any science.
> As far as I am aware it was not discussed by Marx in Capital. There
> may be some place in Marxist theory of jurisprudence for an analysis
> of the category 'sub ject of right', but this is not the same as the
> notion of the subject that was present in the old idealist philosophies.

THIS IS THE HEART OF THE DIFFERENCES AMONG MANY OF US.
You don't need to look at jurisprudence to find the subject. Just
look at any of Marx's category as they represent class relations, to
find it. What is the qualitative dimension of living labour Paul?
Can't you identify in it AT LEAST an alienated subject (which is a
subject after all)? Or you cannot because you think
it is not empirically observable according to your
criteria??

Massimo