[OPE-L:1923] Re: Accumulation of capital and Imperialism

Paul Zarembka (ecopaulz@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu)
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:42:59 -0700

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 glevy@acnet.pratt.edu wrote:

> I agree that we're getting repetitive. However, let me re-phrase my
> question: either suppose a case or cite one where a writer does not use
> the definition you suggest *and* that then leads that person into future
> analytical problems as the exposition of her/his theory develops?

Jerry, I believe everyone on this list thinks that accumulation of
capital is a necessity of the capitalist mode of production. If one goes
with Marx's understanding that it means increasing labor power exploited
by capital, then that necessity of accumulation is also a necessity for
imperialism (among other phenomena). However, if accumulation of capital
does NOT mandate increasing labor power exploited by capital, then
imperialism is a "policy" as opposed to a necessity. You can imagine all
the political fights that can be generated over such as issue, and thus
the theoretical import of being clear on the concept.

Paul Z.