[OPE-L:1980] Re: [MIKE WILLIAMS] electronic money

Duncan K Foley (dkf2@columbia.edu)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 08:15:58 -0700

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Paul Cockshott wrote:

> What I mean is that the state has, in the absence of a gold
> standard, no obligation to redeem its money. In what sense
> then is the money state debt?

First of all, in an accounting sense. But the state also has to redeem
the money when it is offered in payment of someone's tax liability. I
think we need to be careful in distinguishing "redemption" in the sense
of accepting the currency to extinguish a debt, and "convertibility" in
the sense of guaranteeing the exchange of the currency for some other
asset (say, gold, or foreign exchange) at a fixed rate.

Duncan