[OPE-L:2003] Re: depreciation, profits, and subjectivity

John R. Ernst (ernst@pipeline.com)
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 16:01:15 -0700

Michael Perlman and Michael Williams:

I think Michael W. is agreeing with Michael P. in the posts reproduced
below. Thus, I suppose my comments are addressed to both of you.

Would it not be a good idea to show the "dead end"? I tend to agree
matters concerning value, price, and their relationships become quite
confused when it comes to depreciation. The elaborate models never
include fixed capital, depreciation and technical change in any meaningful
sense. Instead, we have Roemer's non-depreciating fixed capital in one
model or Schefold's unchanging techniques in another.

But I'm not sure this in itself shows the "dead end." Indeed, I would
still like to check out the work Marx was doing in 1868 concerning
depreciation to which Michael P. has previously refered and which
I have not yet tracked down. However, regardless of what that search
yields, proving that it is a "dead end" is a task worth carrying out.

John