[OPE-L:2048] Re: [MIKE WILLIAMS] electronic money

Duncan K Foley (dkf2@columbia.edu)
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:44:11 -0700

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Steve Keen wrote:

> Duncan comments on my brief description of a multi-sector model:
>
> >As you describe it, I don't see how your model addresses the problem of
> >the valuation of the bank liabilities. Did you implicitly assume a
> >constant price level? In fact, your model sounds as though it is an
> >example of a credit system operating with a given value of bank
> >liabilities in terms of commodities, where the bank reserves are
> >absorbing the violations of budget constraints in disequilibrium.
>
> No, the price level is a function of wage and commodity input costs and a
> competitively set markup:
>
> P[t+1] = (w[t]*e[t]+p[t]*A)(I+M[t+1])

I assume that the money wage adjusts in response to the tightness of the
labor market. This is the "second approach" I referred to in my earlier
postings, where one regards the value of the government debt as in a
neutral equilibrium, so that it is subject to purely historical forces. I
think there are some problems with this, concerning modeling the
bargaining process by which wages are actually determined, but it
certainly is a possible way to put together a consistent model.

What this model doesn't address is why agents are holding this bank money
at all. One can give a good answer to this question in real-life
historical terms by referring to the credit of the state, but the
equations you write down, while they determine a path for the price
level, don't consider alternative institutional structures. This isn't a
purely theoretical issue: in many parts of Latin America and Eastern
Europe the dollar circulates as a de facto money competing with the
currency issued by the nation states, and many bargains, including some
wage bargains, are struck in dollar terms.

Duncan