[OPE-L:2342] Re: Chapter 5 and Marx's method

Gil Skillman (gskillman@wesleyan.edu)
Thu, 23 May 1996 11:53:06 -0700

Duncan writes:

>No, but don't the examples you give suggest that labor power only exists
>in an embryonic or potential form in these situations?

I would say not, unless the conclusion of the argument I'm contesting is
assumed. I understand labor power as the capacity to labor, rather than as a
commodity, on the ground that commodification of labor power is simply a
historically contingent implication of the labor-labor power distinction.
Thus, in the cases I've presented, this capacity is necessarily actual
rather than "embryonic" or "potential"-- otherwise it couldn't be expressed
in surplus labor. Furthermore the substantive *distinction* between labor
and labor power is operative in these cases; otherwise, for example, the
power of usury would not have been dependent on and coterminous with a
propertied small producing class.

To put it another way: the significance of the labor-labor distinction,
expressed in each of the historical surplus value-bearing circuits of
capital, does not depend on the commodity status of labor power. To the
contrary, its commodity status derives from the historically contingent
strategic implications of this distinction.

Gil