[OPE-L:2499] Re: Marx and Ricardo

Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 06:21:40 -0700

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996 glevy@acnet.pratt.edu wrote:

> While I agree that Marx clearly expressed admiration for the work of
> Ricardo, Marx also leveled MANY sharp criticisms against Ricardo's work.
> For instance in _TSV_, Part III, Ch. 20 (which isn't even primarily
> concerned with a critique of Ricardo!), Marx charges that Ricardo made the
> following mistakes...

(following which Jerry enumerates 11 criticisms).

I don't think that Jerry's points invalidate the claim I was making.
Most of the 11 'mistakes' are connected with the fact that Ricardo
did not develop the labour theory of value into an explicit theory
of exploitation, and that he did not have a historical materialist
conception of capitalism as a specific and limited mode of
production. Yes, we know that was Marx's contribution, that it
was a big contribution, and that Marx was not a 'minor post-
Ricardian'. But my point stands: among the many criticisms of
Ricardo made by Marx, we never find Marx complaining about
Ricardo's holding to a (disaggregative) labour theory of value --
that, according to Marx, was Ricardo's great strength.

Allin.