[OPE-L:2563] Re: a priorism - definition of capitalism

Paul Cockshott (wpc@cs.strath.ac.uk)
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

I agree that when I characterise 'production for the sake of profit'
as a causal account of capitalist production, this is only a half
way account. One has to say what causes the directors of companies
to run their companies in order to maximise profit. This will in
turn involve looking at law, ideology and the procedures of
commercial calculation which are necessary conditions of goal
directed behaviour on the part of companies. The question of the
preconditions of goal directed behaviour in general, and in the
case of social organisations in particular, has scarcely been
investigated yet.