[OPE-L:2794] CONCEPTION DAY: Part 1: Before the beginning

glevy@pratt.ed (glevy@pratt.edu)
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 01:18:22 -0700 (PDT)

Sunday, August 6, 1995 - the date that the idea for the project that
became OPE-L was conceived.

( ... a sobering and ironic fact: 40 years before to the day, on 8/6/45,
the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima).

( ... another curious circumstance: 8/6/1995 was 1 day after the 100th
anniversary of Frederick Engels's death in London).

In a series of posts I am going - for the first time - to explain the
sequence of events on 8/6/95 and shortly thereafter and place them in
context. This is the story of how an idea eventually became a list.
Hopefully, in discussing our conception we will be lead to rethink and
readdress issues related to our birth -- and also have a little
celebration!

Context:
========
The idea for the proposal that I made for what became to be called the
"Outline Project" occurred *while* I was writing the following post for
the marxism list on "Value and wages."

The reason I wrote that post to begin with was rather odd. In previous
weeks there had been a thread on "value and exchange value" in which
Paul C, Steve K, myself, and others participated. During the course of
that thread a clinical psychologist from London kept saying that he
agreed with my understanding of the use-value/exchange-value distinction,
but he kept misunderstanding and innocently misrepresenting what I was
saying. I tried repeatedly to explain my position to him more but he
didn't quite "get it". So, I decided to write a post that would discuss
Marx's method more and explain the role of the "ceteris paribus"
assumption in Marx by referring to a specific issue (I had in the weeks
beforehand launched a "ceteris paribus" thread on the marxism list in
answer to a question from a graduate anthropology student in Utah, Lisa
Rogers). The issue I chose was "Value and wages". Here is the relevant
part: