[OPE-L:2921] Re: Value of labour power and real wage

Paul Zarembka (ecopaulz@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:55:41 -0700 (PDT)

Gil, rather than answer point by point, let me say what I see going on.
Prod. of relative surplus value is an attempt by capital to increase its
surplus value by decreasing the value of labor power. The resulting
technological developments affect the value composition of capital
(organic composition, if you will).

Workers don't simply sit back and take their own devaluation but organize
and struggle to raise v (by fighting to increase real wages). To extent
they are successful s/v may be restored to what it was before, but at the
higher level of real wages. But is the rate of profit where it was
before? The law of the falling tendency answers "no".

Since I priorize class struggle, not technological changes, in my reading
of Marx, it would find discussion of the fight over s/v more interesting
than discussion of r, but discussion of r has its role.

When I used the word "general equilibrium" I did not really mean Arrow-
Debreu but rather the idea of having everything recognized as to be
influencing everything else. While this discussion of ours is NOT
dealing with MANY, MANY other things, I believe you are approaching
Marx's economic reasoning with that kind of idea in mind.

Marx does take s/v as constant in his initial discussion of a falling
tendency for r. Is he simply making a mistake? I say "no", but that
"no" is conditioned on a certain reading of Marx, not a one-line quote
from Capital I can throw back.

Is this a bit clearer? even if you disagree.

Paul Z.