[OPE-L:2941] Marx on rent and technical change

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 15:21:31 -0700 (PDT)

John wrote, among other things, in [OPE-L:2940]:

> 3. In the January 1863 outline for the third book of CAPITAL,
> Marx planned to introduce rent prior the "The Falling Rate
> of Profit." In that same time frame Marx points out that
> it is the rising cost of raw materials that causes the
> FRP. This, again, does not fit into the typical
> interpretation.

The January 1863 outline that John is referring to, I believe, appears in
_TSV_, Vol 1 (Progress Publishers ed., pp. 414-415), "Plan for Part III or
Section III of *Capital*." In that plan, "4. Rent (illustrations of the
difference between value and price of production)" appears after "3. Adam
Smith's and David Ricardo's theories on profit and prices of production"
and before "5. History of the so-called Ricardian law of rent" and "6.
Law of the fall of the rate of profit. Adam Smith, Ricardo, Carey." When
and where did Marx during the same time period write that the rising cost
of raw materials is the cause of the FRP?

Instead of telling us how these two developments do "not fit into the
typical interpretation", could you please tell us how it fits within your
atypical interpretation of Marx?

In OPE-L Solidarity,

Jerry