[OPE-L:2963] Re: Value of labour power and real wage

Patrick Maso (Patrick.L.Mason.20@nd.edu)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:23:11 -0700 (PDT)

Paul Z:

I think you and I are agreement that assumptions regarding changes in the
wage rate are a secondary consideration in Marx's analysis of the falling
rate of profit. I'll try to clear up the confusion from my earlier posts.
(Also, Alan Cottrell recently posted a response that makes the point I'm
arguing below).

Defining the value rate of profit as r = S/(C+V) = (L-V)/(C+V), where L =
the labor time of productive workers, we get r(max) = L/C. That is the
maximum rate of profit occurs when V=0. If C/L shows a tendency to rise over
time due to technological change then the maximum rate of profit will also
decline. If the minimum rate of profit is r = 0, then the process of
technological change leads to an actual rate of profit that is increasingly
squeezed between a declining ceiling and a constant floor. Alternative
changes in the wage rate may cause the actual rate of profit to increase,
decrease, or remain the same but the fluctuation band between the maximum
and minimum profit decreases over time in response to the accumulation of
capital. Are we on the same page?

peace, pat mason