[OPE-L:3013] Marxian empirical research revisited

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:42:48 -0700 (PDT)

Andrew T wrote that he was interested in:

> (b) Empirical Marxian economics. In particular the measurement of labour
> values using input-output analysis, and the use of micro wage data to
> estimate the quality of labour time.

A few questions:
================

(1) Are you using micro wage data to estimate the *quality* and/or the
*quantity* of labour time? If your answer is "quality" (as stated
above), what exactly do you mean?

(2) How is your empirical methodology similar to or different from the
empirical works of Cockshott/Cottrell/Michaelson, Shaikh/Tonak, Moseley,
Murray Smith (did I forget somebody?)?

(3) There is an exchange in the current issue of _Capital & Class_ on
"Testing Marx." What is your evaluation of the different perspectives in
that exchange?

(4) How would you access the relative merits of using input/output data
vs. national income accounts? Which countries and time periods are you
examining?

[This is my way of welcoming you, Andrew T].

In OPE-L Solidarity,

Jerry