[OPE-L:3316] Re: TSS and Value Added

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 19:15:13 -0700 (PDT)

Allin wrote in [OPE-L:3315]:

> I approve of statistical work, so this is not a loaded
> rhetorical question, but I wonder what Jerry has in mind
> with the high-powered stats program? The discussion in the
> context of which Jerry put his question seemed resolutely
> theoretical rather than empirical.

Quite correct. Actually, I probably should have put a smiley face [:-)]
after my question since it was a kind of tongue-in-cheek rhetorical
question -- although I thank Steve K and Iwao for responding anyway.

The issue I was posing, following-up on a comment to Duncan by John, is
whether the distinction between individual and social values can be
grasped within a one-sector model. I believe it can't be and it,
therefore, points the way forward to the development of multi-sectoral
models. Yes, I know the math gets *a lot* more complicated when we move
beyond one-sector. Yet, we can not let the desire for mathematical
simplicity take precedence over developing theory appropriately.

In Solidarity,

Jerry