[OPE-L:3392] Re: TSS and Tech Change

John Ernst (ernst@usa.pipeline.com)
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 14:58:01 -0700 (PDT)

Let this be the end of this until we get real data.

I've made a claim about the mailing industry. Claims could be
made about the printing industry. Why the mailing industry is
special eludes me. My claim is not "unusual." I find it in Marx's
CAPITAL. No one finds any other claim made by him when
it comes to replacing machines with machines.

Another examples:

Computer printers: High-speed dot matrix printers which require
one person to operate cost about $2500. To increase output per hour
10 fold, I'd have to spend about $7500. (Each prints USPS barcodes.)

Office copiers: To upgrade from a $1000 machine to a $5000 machine,
you get an increase in output per hour greater than five fold.

Laser Printers: A slow laser costs about $500, one printing 5 times as
fast costs less than 5 times as much.

So where are these machines that translate into a falling constant capital
to output ratio?

John