[OPE-L:3453] Re: assumptions, assumptions, assumptions

Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:45:49 -0700 (PDT)

I think it's time that this debate lent on a bit of external wisdom. The
Alan/Jerry dispute here is beginning to read a bit like the early days
of Friedman/Samuelson after Friedman's "the more unrealistic assumptions
are, the better the theory" argument, which Samuelson christened "the
F-twist".

There's an excellent short paper by Musgrave (reproduced in Bruce
Caldwell's book of readings) where he distinguishes between simplifying
assumptions--where you have to be unrealistic to avoid building a map on
a scale of 1:1--, domain assumptions and heuristic assumptions.

A domain assumption is one which says that "this theory works only if
these assumptions hold". For example, the assumption that there are only
2 bodies in a planetary system is needed if Newton's model of
gravitational attraction is to be valid. Bring in 3 bodies, and, of
course, we get chaos.

A heuristic assumption is one which is introduced to enable an initial
model to be constructed, and which will be removed later to achieve
applicability to the issue under consideration.

So is v=0 a simplifying, domain, or heuristic assumption?

No way is it a simplifying assumption, in my opinion--and I suspect in
Jerry's. It's either a domain assumption--in which case what we're
discussing is not capitalism--or it's a heuristic.

If it's the latter, then it can only be a first step on the way to the
more general model. If this is the case, then by all means proceed with
it, but don't expect that any conclusions drawn from it are of any
relevance to capitalism. Relevance comes when the unreality is dropped,
to bring us to the more general case where it applies to the domain we
inhabit.

Cheers,
Steve