[OPE-L:3489] Re: accumulation: disequilibrium dynamics

Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:04:34 -0700 (PDT)

Replying to Jerry's points:

>Steve K wrote in [OPE-L:3482]:
>
>> In those cases, in effect, workers are issued with "chits" by one
>> capitalist which are honoured by all others.
>
>Well ... I don't think "chits" can serve as a substitute for money under
>capitalism. Marx discusses this topic in the chapter on money in the
>_Grundrisse_ re Darimon and Proudhon.

Come one Jerry, "chits" is in inverted commas above mate! A proper
expression would have been "negotiable bills of exchange drawn upon the
bank", which is nothing like Proudhon's labor chits. They are in money terms
for a start, not labor-time equivalent.

Re technical change being modelled first vs finance, this revives my little
comment on the nature of abstractions: simplifying, domain and heuristic.
Starting in the absence of technical change, but with finance, is a
heuristic. I could have started, for example, with technical change but
without finance, and then later attempted to introduce finance. But in my
opinion that is a less sensible path, for 2 reasons:

(a) introducing technical change introduces lots of other complications. For
a start, if I have technical change, then I also have to have an expanding
population, otherwise in the limit my model will predict declining
employment. So the initial model with tech change first is more complicated,
and potentially misleading because of:

(b) With technical change but without finance, you must have a "real",
commodity-money perspective on finance. This is how Marx began Capital
I--everything is a commodity. It can work as a starting point, but only if
you're cogniscant of the need to introduce non-commodities later on. That
doesn't necessarily happen: people can continue to try to make a
commodity-money perspective (developed without a finance sector) fit a
non-commodity-money situation (when a finance sector is introduced).

Despite my protestations below about the order in which things are
introduced and the difficulty of modelling technical change, it is quite
do-able. Realism doesn't take a back seat to mathematical considerations:
it's more a question of constructing your model in the rigt order, and in my
opinion that is finance first, tech change after.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer