[OPE-L:3498] Re: accumulation: disequilibrium dynamics

Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:11:19 -0700 (PDT)

No argument, Jerry,

The "personal preference" statement was a bit of a throw-away: I have
very deliberate reasons for taking the approach I have taken. They
accord with my interpretation of Marx--which is non-standard (whatever
standard is), as you know--and blend with the fact that I'm attempting
to develop a multi-sectoral version of Minsky's "Financial Instability
Hypothesis".

For the latter reason, of course, finance *has* to be there.

There are two issues, to my mind, in the exercise of trying to build
what I see as Marx's intended sequence. One is the dialectics of the
commodity classification of stages of analysis. This, in my
interpretation, begins with everything as commodities including labor.
Stage 2 is labor as a commodity/non-commodity, hence a wage-based
struggle over the distribution of the surplus (a la Ch 25). Stage 3 is a
non-commodity money (including a subjective basis for the valuation of
fixed and financial assets). Stage 4 is the introduction of
non-commodities into the system of production, where non-commodities
include new products.

The other issue is where does one introduce multiple sectors into the
analysis--this being one of Marx's insights which is "orthogonal" to the
dialectic of the commodity, which otherwise drives my analysis.

The current models I'm working on cover Stages 1-3. The single sector
model covers Stage 2, but in some ways it's more sophisticated than the
current model because technical change can be introduced very easily
into a single sector model. Stage 4 I can introduce into a matrix
difference equation system only very poorly, but it can nonetheless be
done. But I definitely see it as something one does after introducing
non-commodity money, for 2 reasons:

(1) In the stages I've outlined, it comes after money;

(2) While one can develop a multi-sector model with commodity money, I
believe that a commodity-money system is constrained in ways
fundamentally different to the manner in which a non-commodity money
system is constrained. Non-commodity money "dominates" commodity money
in the sense that it is so superior a means of conducting capitalism
that, despite its problems, it has supplanted commodity money. In the
feudal system, in contrast, non-commodity money could never supplant
gold, for obvious reasons.

Cheers,
Steve