[OPE-L:3610] Re: "Labor Theory of Value"--not used by Marx!

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 03:52:20 -0800 (PST)

Paul Z wrote in [OPE-L:3609]:

> Note that using the Marx-Engels Archive for phrase searching may be a
> useful thing for us to get into the habit of using.

Last I heard, V1 of _Capital_ was the only major work in p.e. that was
placed on the M-E Archive. More significantly, all of the works that are
transcribed in the archive are taken from the public domain in order to
avoid copyright protection laws. This means that newer, more accurate
translations and publications which have only been published in recent
years (e.g. in the _Collected Works_) are not part of the archives. I
believe that V1 is taken from the 1886 first English translation by Samuel
Moore and Edward Aveling.

Another site has at least V1 of _Capital_ in the original German (an early
edition, I believe). Sometimes it might be more useful, then, to do word
searches using the German version.

It would be nice if MEGA would, at some point, make its works available in
electronic form (I bet the whole of MEGA could be put on a single CD-ROM).
However, given the financial situation of MEGA, I believe we might have to
wait quite a while for that possibility to become real.

In solidarity,

Jerry