[OPE-L:3623] Re: "Labor Theory of Value"--not used by Marx!

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:32:38 -0800 (PST)

John wrote in [OPE-L:3619]:

> 1. I've not heard of any mistranslations of the "law of value" nor
> have I ever found Marx using the expression "labor theory of value."
> Hence, I think Paul's search, in this case, may well be accurate.

It may indeed be accurate to say that Marx never used the expression LTV.
What _meaning_ (if any) we attach to that finding is another result.

My point, though, was more simple (and independent of the question whether
M used the expression LTV): in conducting word searches one has to
remember the limitations with translations and the fact that most of the
works of Marx on p.e. aren't part of the archives yet.

> > 2. Do you know of any WEB site with the untranslated Marx? I was
> pleasantly surprised to find Zodiac's site filled with much more
> stuff than it had last year even if the translations aren't the best.

I don't remember the WWW site, but do recall the announcement on PEN-L
many months ago. Try asking Iwao since, as I can recall, he wrote a post
for PEN-L relating to that question.

In solidarity,

Jerry