[OPE-L:3687] Neo-Nazis on Net?

andrew kliman (Andrew_Kliman@msn.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:35:47 -0800 (PST)

I received the following from a colleague. It asks us to vote against the
formation of a Neo-Nazi newsgroup on Usenet, and to forward and broadcast the
message to others.

Andrew Kliman
=======================

>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:53:49 -0500
>To:EVERYONE
>From:mail.tiac.net (EDMUND A. BASHKIN)

Subject: Nazi Group

Folks, this seems important. Please forward this to everyone you know:

A group of NEO-NAZIS are trying to form a newsgroup on Usenet
called "rec.music.white-power", so that they can get their message of
hate out to young people using the Internet.
Newsgroups are public discussions on the Internet and their formation
requires enough support from the Internet community.

EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US HAS ONE VOTE when it comes to creating a new
Usenet group. I hope you will vote NO and
thereby tell these NAZIS we don't want their stuff on the net.
Below is the procedure, please repost this plea and get the NO vote out.
If you want to see the official call for votes, you can try on
"news.group".

DO NOT VOTE TWICE - that would constitute voting fraud.

HOW TO VOTE:

Send e-mail (posts to newsgroups are invalid) to:

music-vote@sub-rosa.com

This is an impartial, third party vote taker. Please check the
address before you mail your vote. Your mail message, to be accepted by
the counting computer, must contain only the following statement with no
signature:

I vote NO on rec.music.white-power

Vote counting is automated. Failure to follow these directions
may mean that your vote does not get counted. If you do not
receive an acknowledgment of your vote within three days contact the
votetaker about the problem. It's your responsibility to make
sure your vote is registered correctly.

Here's what Canada's George Burdi, of the neo-Nazi Heritage Front,
had to say about this vote, on February 21, on his SISTANCE
mailing list:

"There is a call for votes coming on rec.music.white-power in the
next week or so, and you will be notified in a
special issue of RREN exactly what to do. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE
LETTER. Let me be perfectly blunt and state that we have more than
enough net-nazis to win this thing handsdown. But every one of you must
vote YES! And just voting yes means
nothing unless you do it properly. So you have been forewarned. The
instructions are coming to your email box soon, and they are
not complicated. Just follow them as told, and we will have a WP music
newsgroup finally!" If Mr. Burdi's confidence disturbs you, please give
this letter

the widest possible distribution, and help us deliver the largest NO vote
in the history of the UseNet.

----- End Included Message -----