[OPE-L:3753] RE: Hairsplitting

Chai-on Le (conlee@chonnam.chonnam.ac.kr)
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 22:22:16 -0800 (PST)

Allin wrote in two distinct posts:

(1)
> Value is nothing other than 'value contained in the components of value'.
And > I see no indication in Marx's texts that he had such a distinction in
mind > either.

(2)
>If values are conceived as
>"embodied labour coefficients", then it is fair to say that
>the magnitude s/(c+v) is indeed determined "in production".
>But on the single-system view c and v are in prices of
>production, which are *not* determined "in production", but
>rather in the process of market competition (or notionally
>so, since market competition does not in fact generate a
>uniform rate of profit).

As for (1), I ahve to say "No, it is wrong. Value is not 'the value
contained in the components of value'". The value contained in the
components of value is called by Marx 'cost price'. Newly created value does
not belong to the category of your 'the value contained in the components of
value'.

As for (2), your point is still wrong. If values are conceived as
"embodied labour coefficients", what is the variable to match with each of
the labor coefficients? It is also wrong say that the magnitude s/(c+v) is
determined "in production". It is not the magnitude of s/(c+v) but that of
s/v which is to be determined in production. The magnitude of s/(c+v)
depends on the market in part since the magnitude of c rests on the latter.

Yours,

Chai-on
Faculty of Economics,
Chonnam National University,