[OPE-L:3790] Re: How to teach CAPITAL

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:16:03 -0800 (PST)

Ted wrote in [OPE-L:3780]:

> [...] Her understanding of Capital went through a transformation in
> the late 1940s, certainly deepened after her 1953 studies of Hegel's
> Absolute Idea, and took a new comprehensive form in her 1958 Marxism and
> Freedom. [...]

Has anyone ever taught an advanced course on Marx where there are
readings from both Hegel and _Capital_ (or the _Grundrisse_)?

If so, what would be the readings?

For Hegel, which writings would you recommend for new students? It seems
to me that both the _Phenomenology of Spirit_ and the _Science of Logic_
are pretty difficult works for students to grasp. More readable are
the _Logic_, _Philosophy of Mind_ (both component parts of the
_Encylopaedia_) and the _Philosophy of Right_.

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: I was hoping to go to Amherst for the RM conference but it hasn't
worked out. I particularly regret this since I was looking forward to
meeting a bunch of OPE-L comrades in the flesh. Perhaps some of the list
members who are attending the conference can report back to the rest of
us when you return.