[OPE-L:3885] Re: Nationwide Strike in S.Korea Against Neoliberal Policies

seongji (seongjin@gshp.gsnu.ac.kr)
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 17:10:34 -0800 (PST)

Gerald Levy wrote:

> Chai-on, Rieu, Seongjin: can you tell us some more about the following?
> In solidarity, Jerry

Dear Jerry:

Thanks for your intersts in the explosion of workers' struggle aginst the
railroading of retrogressive 'neo-liberal' labor law with the
revival of hysteric anti-Communist law last 26th, Dec. in my country,
South Korea.
It is the first time for the independent and democratic labor unions have
launched the nation-wide general strike since the late 1940s in South
Kora, and they are expected to reach the level of spontaneous Great
Workers' Struggle in 1987.
However, it is hard to say that they will lead to a revolutionary
conjuncture for following two reasons at this point.
First, current confrontation between the government and labor unions
(with opposition parties) seems to be tactically initiated or
masterminded by President Kim Young Sam in order to aggravate social and
economic crisis, which might contribute to strenghtening incumbent party
coming Presidential election.
Second, the leadership of seemingly militant labor unions (Federation of
Democratic Unions) is dominated by reformist and economistic labor
unionism.
However, it is clear that ongoing workers' struggle will wreak a damaging
blow to the neo-liberal restructuring policy of Kim Young Sam Government.
Anyway, as I am in Michigan at this point, my compatriots, Chai-on and
Rieu may have more vivid things about the current struggle in South
Korea.
In addition, I would recommend you to refer following article of NYT
today.

http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/world/korea.html

In solidarity,

Seongjin