[OPE-L:4520] Re: Is Fred M. a "Newsolutionist"?

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 06:54:56 -0800 (PST)

Ajit wrote in [OPE-L:4516]:

> On the lighter
> note: I have read many meandering papers on value theory where it is evident
> that the author(s) don't really know what they are talking about-- we don't
> name names on OPE-L.

We *do* name names on OPE-L. We have never attempted to shy away from
critique, but we also try to present both agreements and disagreements
in a respectful and comradely manner. As I explained to you before
joining, the "culture" on OPE-L is rather different in this regard from
other Net lists. Your perspectives, and those of everyone else on the
list, will be aired and subject to discussion. However, the less assertive
one is and the more one cogently articulates one's perspective, the more
likely the resulting discussion will be enlightening.

Polemics have a long history in the history of Marxism and Marx himself
was quite a skilled polemicist. Yet, I think the current generation of
Marxists would be better served by a style of engagement that is less
polemical and more comradely.

In solidarity, Jerry