[OPE-L:4552] Re: Duncan's vintages

John Erns (ernst@pipeline.com)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:25:49 -0800 (PST)

Michael,

Not so fast. Responding to Alan's question, you state (see below)
that "if the entire branch enjoys doubled productivity, then the
answer is easy: the value is the same." Why? Are we to say that
competition will automatically lower the social value to the
individual value? Why? It seems to me that we cannot simply
assert that this fall takes place once the new technique is
adopted by all in the industry; rather, we have to show the how's
and why's. I see no reason why the individual value created in
the industry cannot differ from the social value even after the
new more productive technique is used by all.

John