[OPE-L:4609] Re: Four-cornered triangle

Michael Perelma (michael@ecst.csuchico.edu)
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 09:18:15 -0800 (PST)

aramos@aramos.bo wrote:

> Does the problem of measurement involve only "abstract labor"?
> How "the hell" do you measure "concrete labor"?
>
> A.R.

Good questions. You could measure hours of carpenter labor, but not all
carpenters are equal. I think -- maybe someone can correct me -- that
Marx explains somewhere that capital would regularize such carpenter
labor. I recall one letter about the U.S. where he suggested that
workers were becoming abstract labor because workers could shift from
one job to another. But elsewhere different sorts of abstract labor
have different productivities.

I suspect that Mike L. could clear up some of this.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321