[OPE-L:4623] Re: The Logical Status of Chapter 5

Gil Skillma (gskillman@wesleyan.edu)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:59:00 -0800 (PST)

Andrew writes:

>A reply to Gil's ope-l 4588.
>
>Hi, Gil. Glad you're back.

Thanks, Andrew. The pleasure's mine.

> I'm eager to resume the discussion.

So am I, I suppose, but as you'll see "the discussion" harks back much
further than you've suggested.

>Specifically, when we last left off, I had asked you the following questions
>(see ope-l 3968):

First things first, Andrew. My post 4588 simply restates points that I made
in OPE-L's "Ch.5" discussion, which long preceded our more recent exchange,
and which neither you nor Alan have directly answered (though Alan was the
primary correspondent at the time, I obviously touched on issues that
concern you as well). Thus in quoting those passages from Alan's paper you
were in effect reasserting a position that I refuted long ago.

Not only is this refutation temporally antecedent to the step in our
discussion you now wish to resume, but it is logically so as well, in that
the (ir)relevance of price-value equivalence to *any* theoretical argument
must first be dealt with before I can turn to your specific questions.

So I'll ask you respond to the points I made, and I'll use your response as
a reference point for addressing your more recently posed questions.

I am very interested in your responses.

Gil Skillman