[OPE-L:4630] Re: "is Fred a new solutionist?"

Ajit Sinh (ecas@cc.newcastle.edu.au)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 00:05:30 -0800 (PST)

At 10:42 PM 3/31/97 -0800, Fred Mosely wrote:

>I was of course very interested to return home yesterday and read the
>OPEL discussion last week (mainly between Alejandro R. and Ajit) about
>"is Fred a new solutionist?"
>
>I have certainly have never thought of myself as a "new solutionist". As
>Alejandro pointed out, in my (1993) paper I emphasized my differences with
>the new solution. The paragraph quoted by Alejandro is from a section of
>that paper entitled "Comparison with the New Solution ..." I am sure that
>that section was in the draft I sent Ajit in pretty much the final version.
> So I would say that Ajit is wrong in his interpretation of that paper and
>ask him to clarify on what basis he judges me to be a "new solutionist."
______________________

Fred, I'm not all that interested in labeling you. You put whatever label
makes you comfortable. My point was this. You agree with the 'new solution'
that value of labor-power should be calculated by the given money wages,
where 'value of money' is defined by imposing the constraint that total
prices of net output is equal to total live labor-time. As long as you agree
with this much, you are a 'new solutionist' in my book. Because these are
the essential aspects of 'new solution'. Your disagreement with them on
constant capital is well taken. As a matter of fact I make the same
criticism of the new solution in my Ph.D dissertation, which was defended in
1991. However, I do not stress this point anymore simply because my sense is
that the 'new solutionists', particularly Duncan Foley, are mainly
interested in aggregative equalities between prices and values rather than
individual commodity prices. They seem to be more of a macro oriented minds
and do not care much about a theory of prices. But in anycase, my other
criticism which I have put forward earlier that in the new solution the rate
of exploitation becomes a function of capitalist consumption habits is a
more potent criticism, and I think, this would apply to your solution as
well. As far as your method of dealing with constant capital is concerned,
I'll have to reread your paper to comment anything on that. Have a good
conference in DC. Cheers, ajit sinha
_________