[OPE-L:4845] Re: Four-cornered triangle

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 03:56:38 -0700 (PDT)

Andrew K wrote in [OPE-L:4842]:

>[...], the commodity is produced, say, today. Other commodities of the same
> time are proving that they are use-values today by being sold. Hence, this
> commodity is a use-value today. If, later, things of this sort are not
> saleable, they have LOST their use-value and thus LOST the value they once
> had. In capitalism, we ask questions such as "what is silver worth today?,"
> not "what would my piece of silver have been worth had it been one of the
> pieces traded today?" They all have the same worth, whether or not they get
> traded.

Putting aside the question of a category of products that have never
before stood the test of being a commodity, I would say rather that for
the products SOLD TODAY they are shown to have a use-value and a value and
therefore ARE commodities. We can not know, however, that the product of
the same type PRODUCED TODAY will stand the test of the market until it
HAS been sold -- whether it be today, tomorrow, or in the future -- and,
therefore, whether it WILL have use-value, whether its ideal (potential)
value will become real/actual, and whether it will BECOME a commodity.

In solidarity, Jerry