[OPE-L:4850] Re: Sraffa's Non-Proof

john ernst (ernst@pipeline.com)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:13:14 -0700 (PDT)

Ajit,

OK. When do we get to money? That is, a set of relative
prices and rate of profit without any mention of money seems
strange although perhaps necessary to Sraffa's manner of
proceeding. Must money be produced as a commodity for the
Sraffa system to allow its presence?

In the 2-commodity world you and Andrew are discussing, it
would seem possible to assign "$" prices in one period such
that the unit prices of each commodity do not change as
inputs become outputs. Given production in a subsequent
period, Andrew's point would seem valid. If not, again,
we have to ask how are we to deal with "real" prices
as opposed to mere relative prices in a Sraffa system.

John