[OPE-L:4901] May 1 - International Workers' Day

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Thu, 1 May 1997 14:34:05 -0700 (PDT)

Happy May Day everyone! I thought you might find the following of
interest. Now I'm going to log-off of my computer and join the May Day
festivities in Tompkins Square Park where many squatters and anarchists
are currently gathering./In solidarity, Jerry

Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:48:50 -0600 (MDT)
From: Martha Gimenez <gimenez@csf.colorado.edu>
To: PROGRESSIVE SOCIOLOGISTS NETWORK <psn@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: May 1 - International Workers' Day (fwd)

Dear PSNers,

Today in my Social Stratification Class I asked my students about their
understanding of May 1. Only three hands went up; one student said it
was an European holiday, another said it was a Celtic holiday and another
said it was, in other countries, a holiday for workers. Of course, it is
not surprising that they knew so little about the origins of this holiday.
I told then about the struggles for the ten hour day and the struggles for
the eight hour day which today everyone takes for granted. I know that to
even remember May Day may seem quaint today when globalization seems to
have put an end to history. But, as Braudel said somewhere, "events are
dust" and what counts is what happens in "the long duree." So those of
you who think it is important in a day like this to celebrate labor and
its struggles and accomplishments can find in a little book by Philip S.
Foner, MAY DAY - A Short History of the International Workers' Holiday
1886-1986 (International Publishers, 1986) an excellent source. I am also
forwarding a couple of messages that appeared last year in PSN which you
might want to keep for future reference.

In solidarity,

Martha