[OPE-L:4916] 179 Years Ago

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Mon, 5 May 1997 10:07:51 -0700 (PDT)

From: Martha Gimenez <gimenez@csf.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: M-FEM: HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARL!
| /\ |
| | |_____________ |
| | |_____________} |
| \ |__| / |
| _ \ CAPITAL / _ |
| $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ |
| |
| HAPPY 179TH BIRTHDAY KARL!!!!!! MAY 5, 1818-1997

| |
| |
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Birthday questions:
===================

(1) If Marx rejected "humanism" as Althusser suggested, why did he in the
1860's write that his favorite maxim was:

"Nihil humanum a me alienum puto"
["Nothing human is alien to me"] ?

(2) Marx's favorite motto was:

"De omnibus dubitandum"
["Doubt everything"]

Shouldn't this anti-authoritarian standpoint be part of the
perspective of Marxists today? Shouldn't we adopt this motto when
accessing any writer, including Marx?

(3) In the "Confessions", Marx also wrote:

"Your favorite virtue in man -- Strength
Your favorite virtue in woman -- Weakness"

yet, although he wrote that "weakness" was a "virtue", he went on to
write:

"Your idea of happiness -- To fight"

[man = strength = happiness = to fight]

"Your idea of misery -- Submission"

[woman = weakness = misery = submission]

a) as suggested above, doesn't his perspective that "weakness" is a
"virtue" of women conflict with his ideas on happiness and
misery?

b) In what ways, if any, was Marx's sexism reflected in both what he
included in _Capital_ and what he omitted?

c) why haven't we discussed issues related to gender and feminism on
this list yet?

In solidarity, Jerry

Reference:

Karl Marx "Confessions" in Theodor Shanin _Late Marx and the Russian
Road_, NY, Monthly Review Press, 1983, pp. 140-141