[OPE-L:4931] Re: 179 Years Ago

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Tue, 6 May 1997 04:57:16 -0700 (PDT)

Ajit wrote in [OPE-L:4926]:

> >(1) If Marx rejected "humanism" as Althusser suggested, why did he in the
> > 1860's write that his favorite maxim was:
> > "Nihil humanum a me alienum puto"
> > ["Nothing human is alien to me"] ?
> What "humanism" has got to do with humans? And why the above 'maxim' has
> anything to do with Marx's "humanism"?

If that is not a humanist maxim, then there isn't one.

> > c) why haven't we discussed issues related to gender and feminism on
> > this list yet?
> Because it is a all boys club. And you should know. You are the manager.

No doubt, we would have a better chance of discussing gender on this list
if there were more feminists subscribed. BUT, we are *NOT* an "all boys
club" and YOU should know that since I sent out a listing of current
members on 4/30 in [4893].

We currently have three listmembers who are women (Maria, Mariko, and
Persefone). Sadly, Michele resigned from OPE-L the other day (saying that
she didn't have the time now to participate). This was also the case
with another former member, Carole Bewiener.

I do expect that another woman comrade will join shortly (... I am waiting
for some background info. from her before welcoming her to the list).

I can assure you that we have taken the question of representation of
women on the list VERY seriously and have made many inquiries about
possible additions. Unfortunately, many of the brighter women Marxists
internationally (e.g. Suzanne de Brunhoff, Maria Rosa Dalla Costa,
Leopoldina Fortunati, and Sraffian Antonella Picchio) aren't on-line yet.
Some others declined the invite (Sue Himmelweit) or never responded to
an invitation (e.g. Diane Elson, Ann Davis).

While there is a gender imbalance on the Internet in general, I can assure
you that we have put a lot of thought and effort into this question. And
when I say "we", I mean "we" -- since a lot of listmembers have been
involved in off-list conversations and effort on this topic.

In solidarity, Jerry