[OPE-L:4939] gender and OPE-L

Michael_A._Lebowitz (mlebowit@sfu.ca)
Tue, 6 May 1997 12:06:23 -0700 (PDT)

In message Tue, 6 May 1997 04:57:16 -0700 (PDT),
Gerald Levy <glevy@pratt.edu> writes:

> Ajit wrote in [OPE-L:4926]:

>> > c) why haven't we discussed issues related to gender and
>> feminism on > this list yet?
>> Because it is a all boys club. And you should know. You are the
>> manager.
>
> No doubt, we would have a better chance of discussing gender on this list
> if there were more feminists subscribed. BUT, we are *NOT* an "all boys
> club" and YOU should know that since I sent out a listing of current
> members on 4/30 in [4893].

I agree that Jerry has made real efforts to invite more women to join the
list, but do not agree with the apparent (although, I am sure, unintended)
identification of gender and perspective. Having more women on the list is
neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for the explicit incorporation
of gender-related issues in our discussions. I would say that the silence
is related to the focus on the logic and appearances of capital. If we were
to seriously consider the side of the worker, however, it would be rather
difficult to avoid introducing these (although perhaps Steve and Bruce---
working from the "overdeterminist" perspective-- would argue that gender
questions belong in our discussions of capital now).

in solidarity,
mike
Michael A. Lebowitz
Economics Department, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5A 1S6
Office (604) 291-4669; Office fax: (604) 291-5944
Home: (604) 872-0494; Home fax (with warning): (604) 872-0485
Lasqueti Island (250) 333-8810