[OPE-L:4957] Re: determination of real wages

riccardo bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Fri, 9 May 1997 00:17:02 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:17 5-05-1997, aramos@aramos.bo wrote:
>On Riccardo's ope-l 4914:
>
>Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Just now my time
>is very limited, so let me comment only some points.

Alejandro, when you're time is limited,you're able to write very long and
thougtful letters! On my side, I am also truly in troubles finishing a
paper, so I do not answer now (and BTW my server is going up and down: this
explays in the delay in my answer to your previous post). BUT I want to
make some (very general) comments.

Only four things now. I am not talking in my letters of you in particular.
My point was simply that those who (RIGHTLY) as you stress the unity of
production and circulation, though not value-form theorists, seems to me
not to care enough of the strong points of the value form approach in
(when) leaving Marx's analysis of the substance of value. That is, my point
is that the value-form theorists seem to be more coherent than the ones who
hold at the unity of production and circulation and says that this does not
creates problems in Marx. These problems are for me already in Marx, and
what is needed is NEW theoretical work ALONG HIS lines, BUT overcoming his
DEFICIENCIES.

[My idea - but that is not what is truly important now, is that the
unity of production and circulation is THEORETICALLY costructed by Marx;
than in this construction exchange ratios as EXCHANGE-VALUES are essential;
that indeed the class relationship between working class and capital is in
a very important sense quite adequately captured in terms of exchange value
IF Marx's view of the cycle of money-capital is reframed, as it should be,
in the terms of the theory of the monetary circuit. This permits to say in
a meningful sense that exploitation may be measured as (potential) surplus
value BEFORE exchange, that is before the unity of production and
circulation. If one starts from this latter, what he get is a
transformation of prices into values, not viceversa.]

About you: Alejandro, I feel a lot near to you, and I fully agree with your
suggestion that I must study your papers more. Exactly because they are
relevant, and there are a lot of "nuances", I embarked in a *slow* work of
re-reading of the literature [slow because I must do a lot of teaching, and
hence of writing, NOT on these topics, unfortunately], and I'll surely come
to you better than I can do now. IF you are interested in discussing BEFORE
I'll finished this journey of mine, well, let's go on. Otherwise, see you
later - hope in a year. But exacltly because I fel near to you, I feel free
to share with you some of my troublings. Note that I do not take the list
as a place where only things on which one is sure are put forward.

Third: my policy is that the Marxian labour theory of value must be
essential in some sense (and you know that that sense is not for me only to
be a theory of relative prices!) even in stationary situations, etc. So
when you say: well, but that's result follow only because, etc., this is
something I don't follow. Let me make a comparison. Most keynesians were
happy to find a place for money outside full employment equilibrium. No,
money must be essential first of all in equilibrium. Abstract labour theory
of value, then, must be essential even in a situation which may be
described as a stationary equilibrium.

Last point: your answer - inaccurate scholarship - I don't like at all. No,
I think the method we should follow is the one used by Dumenil in his
1983-1984 paper in Science and Society. Give a look at it, if you have one
minute.

ciao

riccardo

> [...]
>two tables in the original (Penguin p. 256) you have that in the so-
>called "price system" there is a column SUPRESSED by Bort. in his own
>version of this. This column contains VALUES. So there is no a "price
>system" separated from "values" as Bort wants. This is simply a
>misreading or, if you want, an **intentional** deformation of Marx's
>text to fit it into a particular interpretation.
>
>Moreover, in the same chapter you have another example in which
>there are NOT 2 tables but only one (p. 264). What does this mean?
>As "textual evidence" it has the same weight that the "2 tables"
>version but no one "sees" it. Moreover, from the 5 Marx's versions of
>the transformation, 3 are a single-system version. But there are no
>people asking what is the meaning of this. That is a very poor
>knowdledge and understanding of Marx own work. An on this poor
>scholar work are based the current "orthodox" interpretations we have.
>
>Some time ago Ajit recalls Sraffa's incredible seriousness in his
>edition of Ricardo (the "faded comma"). Well, this kind of
>scholarship has not been applied to Marx. Unfortunately we dont have
>"an Sraffa" asking things like this: What is the meaning of Marx's
>single table examples of the transformation? Why does Bortkiewicz
>suppressed a column in the "price table"? Is that correct?
>

>> And please, dont take in politics.
>
>What do you mean?
>

>> (vi) My finance-cum-value in production model *before* the final exchange
>> wants exactly to escape from the crisis in Marxian value theory which was
>> produced EXACTLY from the stress on the link between value and money
>> through the value-form analysis; and wants to escape the redundancy
>> argument. Hence, my answer to the question: about what is the labour theory
>> of value about? my answer is the origin of surplus value. It was all
>> already written down in my RRPE paper: if you wants arguments, look there.
>
>I looked there many times, Riccardo. As I told you I am not in
>the "value-form analysis", as you are describing it. You are simply
>confused about this perhaps because you havent read my articles. I
>repeat: I dont think we can abandon the notion of labor-time as the
>substance of value. If you want a "proof" of this, please, read my
>article for the Conference. Why do you think Im defending what you
>call the "value form analysis"?
>
>Perhaps the differences come from the fact that we have involved in
>the issues in a diverse ways. For example: You have had the
>opportunity to study a lot on credit money. Same thing regarding
>Ajit. He is an oustanding scholar on Sraffa's theory and, obviously,
>he discusses from his knowdledge on this. But all this doesnt
>necessarly imply that our general concernings are different. So,
>there are a lot of mutual "ignorance" of other people's "agendas" (to
>quote David L.!)
>
>Now, I have no more time to comment you points 7 and 8.

Riccardo Bellofiore
Department of Economics
Piazza Rosate, 2
I-24129 Bergamo, Italy