[OPE-L:5072] Re: question

riccardo bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Mon, 19 May 1997 02:54:39 -0700 (PDT)

Michael,

here again I am forced to promise a future response. But here's a
brief resume. I think 1 is not relevant *here*; disagree with 2; 3 & 4 are
very important, and indeed fundamental in my views; 5 may be interpreted
differently according to the different solution i n 2.

We are 1000f the same opinion about money; only 750f the same
opinion about labour power. BTW, one thing is to say that labour power is a
very, very, very special commodity, another that it is not a commodity. But
though labour power is not the outcome of a private decision to produce it,
it is nevetheless something which the workers are compelled to sell on the
labour market against money (this I call a commodity), and because of that
they can buy only on the commodity market a share of the real output which
depends by (money and industrial) capital's choices about this latter, and
which are some specific use values. In this share of the real output is
then embodied a given amount of objectified living labour (this I would
call the value of labour power). This labour embodied by expressed by a
different labour represented in money according to the ruling prices.

Moreover. If you don't have the labour power as a (very, very,
very) special commodity, you cannot have the possibility to define and
measure (potential) surplus value in production. As, I think, you
consistently maintain.

riccardo