[OPE-L:5106] Re: the creation of labour-power

Chai-on Lee (conlee@chonnam.chonnam.ac.kr)
Fri, 23 May 1997 20:18:49 -0700 (PDT)

At 07:58 ¿ÀÈÄ 97-05-21 -0700, Jerry wrote:

> For instance, is the
>reproduction of the nuclear family and patriarchy systematically
>necessary for the reproduction of capitalism or is it only contingently
>required within particular capitalist social formations?

Chai-on:

I think the nuclear family is the product of the capitalist development.
Large patriarchy system was necessary when it a production agent for the
domestic production of bread, clothes, etc. Since after those conveniences
were subsumed under the capitalist production and thus were able to be
bought easily on the market, the large family became unnecessary. On top of
this, the private property system transformed the unnecessary large family
into the nuclear family.

The point is Mike William does not admit the possibility of a
non-capitalist commodity production.
IMO, the labor-power is of course not produced under a capitalist commodity
production system and yet it is nevertheless produced as a commodity. If it
were not a commodity, is it then to be a free good? In this society,
anything that are exchanged for money must be a commodity. A few
exceptions, morality, fame, etc. are quasi-commodities (not proper
commodities) even though they are sometimes exchanged for money.

In solidarity,

Chai-on