[OPE-L:5133] Re: Can Ajit's price theory fly?

Ajit Sinha (ecas@cc.newcastle.edu.au)
Tue, 27 May 1997 21:56:13 -0700 (PDT)

Mr. kliman,

As you have yourself said, no amount of arguments can persuade you, that's
why I don't think there is much point in arguing with you. I gave you the
numbers, but as I said you understand too little. Is that my fault? In my
response to you, you cut out the last part of the numbers I gave you. This,
of course, is your old trick. But if you look at those numbers, you will
learn the absurdity of your position. Time and time again I have said that
price is a measure at one point of time, but you want me to maintain that
price of a commodity remains the same eventhough it has changed over time.
Why? because lay people think that way. What kind of argument is that? Let
me give you an example, When you buy a new car and drive it out of the lot,
you know that it immediately loses some value. Let's say you bought a new
car for $20,000. It is one day old and still in mint condition. If I ask you
what is the price of your car, you probably would say $20,000. It would be
okay in lay peoples world. However, for an economists the price of your car
is not $20,000 but something like $19500, because that's the price you would
get in the market. And this is a simple point, which you don't seem to
understand.

As far as your claim that TSS people will never be persuaded by my argumets,
I can only say that other members of this so-called approach are probably
not completely a closed mind as you apparently are. My sense is that my
arguments are having a lot of effect on people like Alan Freeman, John
Ernst, and others. The fact of the matter is that your approach is absurd is
now beyond doubt, and this must have been noticed by anybody who is watching
closely. You yourself, deep in your heart, are aware of this fact. That's
why you have moved from defending your approach to a Challenge to 'my'
theory. 'My' theory is not my theory (I wish it was). No serious minded
economist, to my knowledge, has found flaw in the Sraffian theory of prices.
Your kind of criticism only shows that you haven't understood the problem,
and also have not even read Sraffa with any care. Let me quote Marx here:
"Ignorance can never be an argument!". You should also keep in mind that
even if "my' theory is false or inconsistent, it will not make your theory
any more less absurd because of it.

Cheers, ajit sinha