[OPE-L:5141] Re: valuation of constant capital

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Wed, 28 May 1997 17:48:57 -0700 (PDT)

Michael P wrote in [OPE-L:5140]:

> Marx also noted that technical change first occurs in consumer goods --
> say textiles; and later in the manufacture of the capital goods used to
> produce the textile machines.

1) Where does Marx discuss the above?

2) If we look at the early period in the development of the textile
industry during the industrial revolution, didn't the advances in mass
production and new process technologies precede the development of new
product technologics?

3) What would be the logical reason for asserting that technical change in
terms of the development of new product technologies associated with firms
producing means of consumption would develop at an earlier time than the
development of new process technologies by firms producing means of
production?

In solidarity, Jerry