[OPE-L:5325] Capitalist Macrodynamics: A Systematic Introduction

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 12:57:43 -0700 (PDT)

(Hi David!) For those of you who aren't on PEN-L, I thought you might be
interested in the following sent by one of our own subscribers./In
solidarity, Jerry

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 11:57:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Laibman <DLaibman@brooklyn.cuny.edu>
Subject: [PEN-L:11119] Shameless Self-Promo III

Dear PEN,

Following the lead set by Doug Henwood and Bob Pollin, I too will throw
modesty to the winds and announce publication (actual date, July 31) of my
new book: CAPITALIST MACRODYNAMICS: A SYSTEMATIC INTRODUCTION. Publisher is
Macmillan (London).

The book is a brief (pp. xv, 143) and accessible (numerical examples,
figures, minimal math) treatment of capitalist accumulation, technical
change, structural change, and short- and long-term crisis, in the Marxist
tradition. It tries to avoid both excessive preoccupation with texts, and
excessive formalism, although it does ask the reader to follow a serious,
sustained argument.

Contents:
1. Introduction
2. A Conceptual Framework
3. A Simple Macro Production Model
4. The Classical Theory and Its Critique
5. Technical Change and the Profit Rate
6. The Capitalist Determination of Technical Change
7. The Consistent Path
8. A Thumbnail Survey of Marxist Crisis Theories
9. Cyclical Crisis
10. Immanent Critical Tendencies and Secular Crisis
11. Multiple Sites and Comprehensive Crisis

I think there is a number of new things here, and an advance
on the existing literature; I also think the synthesis proposed offers,
at least potentially, a way of building bridges between the theory of
capitalism in general and the study of particular institutions, contingent
paths, stages, and histories. But this is for others to decide!

The prices listed by the publisher are: L40 (British pounds), hardcover;
L14.99, paperback. The publisher's address is: Macmillan Press Ltd, /
Houndmills / Basingstoke / Hampshire RG21 6XS / England. I am pestering them
for information on ordering from the U.S.: dollar prices, phone number for
credit card orders, internet, etc. As soon as I have more information, I
will pass it along. I will also be glad to forward orders send to me by
email.

With best wishes,

o/^^^^^) o !
/ / /^^) /\ /^^! /^^)
o(_____/_(_ /(/ \/ !_(_ /!_
David Laibman dlaibman@brooklyn.cuny.edu

Professor Editor, Science & Society
Department of Economics John Jay College, Rm. 4331
Brooklyn College 445 West 59th Street
Brooklyn, 11210 New York, NY 10019
USA Voice/FAX: 212/246-4932
718/951-5219; -5317 scsjj@cunyvm.cuny.edu
FAX: 718/951-4867
Home:
Executive Committee/Delegate 50 Plaza Street E., #2C
Professional Staff Congress Brooklyn, NY 11238
AFT Local 2334 Voice: 718/789-9565
FAX: 718/783-7347