[OPE-L:5521] RE: Luxury goods and profit rate

Duncan K. Foley (dkf2@columbia.edu)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

Ajit wrote:

>>Duncan comments:
>>
>>I'm curious as to exactly how one can measure these labor times "in
>>principle, by observation". What method would you use to calculate the rate
>>of exploitation for a real economy, say the UK in 1997?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Duncan
>______________
>
>Well, in principle, one can always observe the total number of direct labor
>spent in an economy, say UK in 1997. Of couse, one will have to convert the
>skilled labors into unskilled labor hours. Let's assume that we agree on
>conversion factors. We could also estimate the total amounts of various
>goods and services consumed by the working class as a whole. We can
>definitely observe the technology with which these goods and services and
>their raw materials are produced.

I guess this is something of a weak link in my view. If you mean that
input/output tables represent the technology used, then I would argue that
input/output methodology is in fact a highly indirect way of inferring the
technology used, since it is a transformation of the market price
transactions in the market. That's not to say that there's no information
in the input/output tables, but it seems to me putting the cart in front of
the horse to argue that input/output tables are closer to the "real"
economy than the market price data on which they are based.

Cheers, Duncan

Duncan K. Foley
Department of Economics
Barnard College